Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Jayna T. Murray: May she REST in PEACE

"The world stands out on either side no wider than the heart is wide; above the world is stretched the sky-no higher than the soul is high. The heart can push the SEA and LAND farther away on either hand; The soul can split the sky in two, and let the face of God shine through." -Edna St. Vincent Millay
Jayna and I at Semester at Sea- Fall 2001 Voyage

 The Millay quote above was what Jayna wrote on my memory book from 10 years ago along with this note: 
"Marivic,
You are an amazing person! Strive for your most far-fetched dreams! You will succeed! You are a young, beautiful, self-confident, independent woman-let nothing stop you! Thank you for everything! I truly cherish our friendship. I will miss you and I love you!
<3 you-Jayna T. Murray"


To this day,  her words resound in my ears and keeps me motivated to keep 'striving' for my dreams. She was a fellow Scorpio and equally beautiful and independent in her ways. She lived across the hall from my upper-deck #464 cabin along with my 2 other roommates for 3 whole months and kept in touch over the years. She was like the fun, blonde, energetic and vibrant sister (amongst other things) I never had. We made a pact to wake early at every port to watch the sun come up (like the pic above as we ported in Kobe, Japan). We did that for a bout 3 ports and found that it was hard to get up at 6am every morning after crossing several time zones and be picture ready for the sun's rising.  My fondest memory of her was when she and I came up with the cheer, "Olé, Olé, Olé" for our Red Sea REDBULL team for the Sea Olympics. We rallied everyone on our deck and ran around ALL levels of the ship at 7am to wake everyone up with the cheer. She had spent another study abroad program in Spain prior to Semester at Sea, hence the Olé. To this day, whenever I am with SASer folk, that cheer would come up in conversation and how everyone remembered which deck was the LOUDEST (and probably most annoying). But whatevs, IT WORKED. We stuck out in people's minds.

Just like the Olé cheer, Jayna will always stick out in our minds. The ones who loved her and cherished her most need all the prayers you can give. If you or anyone you know who may have been in the 4856 Bethesda Ave. Lululemon location on Friday (March 11) night have any information about her murder, please call: Capt. Starks  at (240)-773-5070.  Please help us spread the word so that we may lay Jayna to rest in peace. Thank you.

Here is a link to the Washington Post article: Jayna Murray 
Semester at Sea Fall '01 Sea Olympics: Olé, Olé, Olé!!!

 



13 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing your heart-felt thoughts of Troxel. To me, she goes by Troxel. She shared many stories of semester at sea, studying abroad when we lived together at GWU. The last memory I have of her is of us competing in a 24 hour relay running race. We were at one of the exchanges, saw each other across the stree and screamed with delight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ivy~thank you for sharing that beautiful memory of our beloved Jayna"Troxel". She was one of my best friends on Semester at Sea continues to impact my life daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sad and senseless tragedy. This has been a truly tough few days for the world. Missing seeing your positive outlook and thoughts on facebook! You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still in utter shock by this horrible, senseless act. Though as adults Jayna and I didn't speak since she moved away from Houston a long time ago but as young children she was a close friend I remember playing with our Barbies and doing gymnastics in the yard (of course she was ALWAYS better than me). I know that she is in heaven looking down with that big beautiful smile of hers. Jayna you will be TRULY missed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://introvena.blogspot.com/2011/03/to-troxel-aka-jayna-murray.html - in remembrance of Troxel

    ReplyDelete
  6. In case you're wondering, Shining Light is Ivy's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you would like to share some of your thoughts for my report on 9News in Washington, please contact Scott Broom at sbroom@wusa9.com ASAP. I want to paint the most accurate picture possible of who Jayna was. Early media coverage can be helpful in keeping the case top-of-mind with investigators. Best Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marivic, thanks for sharing this wonderful memory. As a fellow F'01 SASer, I can still hear your olé olé olé cheer! It's so cool to know that you and Jayna were the ones who authored it. I used to work right next door to Lulu, and Bethesda Row always felt like the safest place...it's unbelievable that this happened there. I pray that they find the awful people responsible for this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am currently organizing a candle-lit vigil on Friday 3/18 at 7pm in Union Square, NYC in loving memory of our beloved Jayna and others who lay victim to violent crimes around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all your love and support. I know Jayna is smiling down on us as she reads your kind words and memories of her :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Marivic. I am so sorry for your loss of this extraordinary friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. IF you haven't seen the postings regarding the vigil that is happening all around the WORLD for Jayna, please follow this link: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=105418356207051&ref=notif&notif_t=event_wall#!/event.php?eid=105418356207051

    Feel free to post comments and support for her and encourage others to do the same in loving memory of the beautiful Jayna T. Murray.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a beautiful quote. Jayna spoke often of her semester at sea adventures and I definitely remember hearing her say "Ole" around Halliburton. She spoke of you often to some of our filipino friends. (my wife is part flip too)

    ReplyDelete